A dog collar is an essential accessory for your dog as it serves multiple purposes. Some pet owners leave the collars on their dog 24.7, while others don’t. What is a good idea?
Indeed, every dog must have a collar because it can serve as identification, which is invaluable if the dog were to get lost. Still, there are times when your dog shouldn’t wear a collar.
Dogs and Collars
Do dogs even like to wear collars? Generally, they don’t have a problem with wearing one as long as it’s comfortable and doesn’t bother them. So, they don’t “like” it, but they don’t mind having one around their necks. It only becomes a problem when it doesn’t fit properly.
If it’s too tight, then your dog will be uncomfortable. To ensure the proper fit, you must be able to insert two fingers between the collar and your dog’s body. Make sure that the collar isn’t too loose as well; otherwise, it could fall off.
Are Collars Bad for Dogs?
Collars may become a problem if they’re worn continuously. They can even lead to skin irritation that can cause rash and damage to their hair.
On the other hand, if your dog is wearing a comfortable collar, then there’s no problem having them wear it. Still, it’s best not to let your dog wear the collar 24/7, especially if your dog spends most of his time inside the house.
Why You Should Not Let Your Dog Wear Their Collar 24/7
No matter how comfortable the dog collar is, it’s not advisable to have your dog wear a collar all day and all night because:
- Choking hazard: Especially at night, collars can become a choking hazard because they could get caught up in something.
- Skin rash or irritation: This occurs when the collar is too tight, or the material is abrasive.
- Fur damage: This can happen if the collar is worn for too long. Your dog’s hair or fur can be pulled out over time, which will cause a spot on the dog’s neck where the fur will no longer grow. Moreover, it can cause the hair to become matted or discolored.
- Discomfort: It’s best to take off your dog’s collar, especially at night, to give them more comfort.
- Noise reduction: Dog collars can make noise, and having your dog wear them all the time, especially at night, can cause a disturbance.
Dog collars must be worn at specific times, such as when you’re taking the dog for a walk. If your dog usually spends most of the time during the day outdoors, a collar will serve as an identification card.
With that, you need to choose the right collar for your dog that is comfortable. Stick to soft and lightweight collars that your dog can get used to easily. Make sure it’s made of high-quality materials as well to ensure that it will last for a long time.
Get the best dog collars in Dubai here at Pickles DXB. We have a wide range of high-quality dog collars for your beloved furry friend. Shop now!